The Pre-Matric Scholarship is a government-sponsored financial support programme aimed at encouraging the level of education among economically disadvantaged and marginalised youth. It aims to reduce financial stress on families while also motivating students to continue their education by offering financial help.
The details of the project vary from state to state as it is central as well as state-funded, but the overarching goal is to create a favourable learning environment for those in need. Through this scholarship, the government hopes to lay a solid foundation for these students, allowing them to continue their educational plans despite a lack of funding.
Earlier, this scholarship used to provide money to students from classes I to X, but now it is only giving scholarships to the students studying in IX and X. The scholarship will be provided for the entire year, but if a student fails to clear the class, he or she will not receive money either for that year or for the following one. The scholarship can be renewed for the next year if the applicant gets 50% marks in the previous examination.
Pre-Matric Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
The government has set certain requirements for this scholarship so that the students who are in need of it and are deserving of it can benefit from it. The criteria are explained below:
- The students must belong to a specified marginalised community or minority group as defined by the government.
- The family’s annual income for the applicant should not be more than ₹1 lakh.
- The students should have a good academic record, showing the desire to study further.
- They must be enrolled in a recognised school or educational institution.
Benefits of Pre-Matric Scholarships
- It may cover a large part or even the entire fee, making it easier for students to attend school without financial worry.
- The government will also provide money to buy books and stationery.
- A monthly allowance is given to help cover basic living expenses.
- There are special allowances for students with disabilities to meet their unique needs.
How to apply for the Pre-Matric Scholarship?
- Go to the official scholarship portal of either the centre or state government.
- If you are new to the website, then create an account, and if you already have one, then log in.
- Once you have registered yourself, fill out the scholarship application form. The most important thing to remember is to provide all the correct information about your academic record, family income, etc.
- You will then be asked to upload certain documents; the names of the documents are provided below.
- Before submitting the document, make sure to review your information in case of any mistakes.
- After submitting, it is advisable to take a printout of the application form for future reference.
- Identity Proof: Ration card, Aadhaar card, voter ID, driver’s licence, or PAN card
- Student caste certificate
- Family income certificate
- Student ID proof is issued by the educational institution.
- Mark sheets for the qualifying examination
- Current-year fee receipt or admission letter issued by the educational institution
Official Website Pre Matric Scholarship: scholarships.gov.in