In October 2015, the government of Telangana started a housing plan called the double-bedroom housing scheme to help poor people by giving them homes for free. Unlike initiatives in the past, this one does not require any financial contribution from the beneficiaries. Especially in the countryside, where people earn money based on the seasons, this new housing plan helped them stay out of debt, which was a problem before.
Earlier, a 260-square-foot single-room house was given, but now under the “Double Bedroom Housing Scheme“, people get two bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen, and two bathrooms, which cover a 560-square-foot plinth area. Rural beneficiaries receive an independent house on a 125-square-yard plot, whereas people who live in cities get a 36-square-yard undivided share in G++-style houses.
In the countryside, each home has a big yard, while in the cities, they get a share of a larger piece of land. This new plan removes the need for loans or any payments from the people who get the homes, making it easier for many poor families in the countryside and cities to own a home.
TS 2BHK Housing Scheme Benefits
- The scheme provides a secure, stable home for impoverished families who might otherwise live in unsafe conditions.
- Double Bedroom Housing” covers a plinth area of 560 square feet, featuring a master bedroom measuring 90 square feet, a standard bedroom occupying 81 square feet, a living room of 140 square feet, a kitchen space of 36 square feet, two toilets with areas of 22 square feet and 18 square feet, respectively, a staircase case area of 82 square feet, a wash area of 20 square feet, and a wall area of 71 square feet.
- In rural locales, an independent house comes with a plot of 125 square yards, while in urban areas, there’s a 36-square-yard undivided land share in G++-patterned houses.
- The provision of land is free of charge except for the cost of the residential unit.
- The scheme also provides a hygienic living environment, which is important for the health and well-being of the beneficiaries.
Eligibility Criteria for the Double Bedroom Housing Scheme
- Applicants must be permanent residents of Telangana to be eligible for this scheme.
- The scheme is chiefly directed at economically weaker sections and lower-income groups. Especially, the annual household income must be less than Rs. 2.5 lakhs in urban areas and less than Rs. 2 lakhs in rural areas.
TS 2BHK Housing Scheme application process?
- The implementation of the 2BHK scheme in various villages is determined by a district-level committee in accordance with the guidelines outlined in GO Ms No. 10, Housing (RH&C.A.1) Dept., dated October 15, 2015, and beneficiary selection is guided by the directives in GO Ms No. 12, Housing (RH&C.A.1) Dept., dated November 26, 2015.
- The eligible beneficiaries for 2BHK will be called as per the schedule given by district collectors, and the applicants will be gathered during the Gram Sabha by a selected official.
- In these meetings, a first check is done to see who really qualifies for a house. A list of these qualifying people is made and sent to a local officer called the Tahsildar for a more detailed check.
- The Tahsildar checks the list thoroughly and sends the final list of qualified people to the District Collector, who is a higher official.
- This list is then checked again in another community meeting as per the schedule given by the District Collector to make sure everything is correct.
- Once the community meeting, or Gram Sabha, agrees on the list, the District Collector approves it, and the list is shared with everyone.
Official Portal of TS Housing Scheme: 2bhk.telangana.gov.in