The Post Graduate Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child is a scholarship scheme initiated by the University Grants Commission (UGC) of India with the primary aim of supporting the postgraduate education of single girl children in their families. The University Grants Commission has set up this scholarship to support the education of girls who are pursuing postgraduate studies and are the only girl child in their families.
The total number of vacancies for this scholarship is 3,000 every year. It is expected that institutions where students have been admitted to the first-year PG course will not charge tuition fees for female students pursuing PG degree courses in universities, colleges, or institutions covered by Sections 2(f) and 12(B) of the UGC Act.
The objectives of the Scheme
- By providing financial help, the scholarship aims to reduce the financial difficulties that often discourage the pursuit of higher education among girls.
- By supporting the education of girls, this scholarship helps create more educated female role models in society, which in turn can inspire other girls to pursue higher education.
- Through this scholarship, the UGC aims to empower girls by providing them with the necessary resources to pursue higher education, which can greatly improve their socio-economic status and contribute towards their overall development.
- The scholarship also aims to raise awareness and recognition regarding the major role of education in empowering girls and creating a more equitable society.
Postgraduate Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child Eligibility
- The applicant must have Indian citizenship.
- It is important that the applicant be the only female child in the family.
- Girl students who have no brothers or are twin or fraternal daughters are also eligible.
- The applicant’s age cannot exceed 30 years at the start of the first year of the postgraduate programme.
- Admission to a regular, full-time first-year Master’s Degree programme at any recognised institution or postgraduate college is required.
- The candidate must be registered in a non-professional course and regularly attend classes at a recognised institution.
The scholarship includes an impressive financial aid package of ₹36,200 each year for the duration of the postgraduate degree.
Note: The government will not pay any extra money to cover the expenses of hostel charges, medical charges, etc.
How to apply for the PG Indira Gandhi Scholarship?
The application process for the Post Graduate Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child is carefully designed to provide an easy experience for eligible candidates. The application form for the scholarship is to be filled out and submitted online. Here is an easy step-by-step guide:
- Eligible candidates should go to the official website of UGC.
- On the homepage, under the student’s corner, candidates can find the link for the Post Graduate Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child.
- Click on it, and it will redirect you to a new page.
- Fill out the application form and make sure that all the information entered is correct.
- After the successful submission of the online application, the next important step is the verification of the application by the host institution where the candidate is currently studying.
- Essential documents such as an affidavit confirming the single girl child status and a joining report need to be uploaded as part of the application process.
Official Website of UGC: www.ugc.gov.in